There are plenty of different types of pests that you can get when you are a homeowner but one of the most destructive are termites. These tiny little creatures can destroy your home of you don’t catch them soon enough. Termites can be extremely hard to detect since they build their nests underground and pretty much any home is free game for termites to come and invade. You need to have a plan in place to manage termites or they will eat the house out from underneath you. While wood frame homes are the most susceptible you can take steps to protect your home. Here is what you can do to keep out termites.
Avoiding a Termite Infestation
- Have a well-ventilated subfloors it will help keep termites from breeding in your floors.
- Have your home inspected on a regular basis. If you have an older home that is constructed with wood then this is a must.
- If you have a crawl space you need to get in and out unobstructed, it will allow you to see if they are getting into your home and it is easier to clean them out.
- Make sure that you have a proper drainage system to keep all of your subfloors dry. Poor drainage means water on site and that will attract a variety of different pests not just termites.
- Make sure that your timber framing has been treated it will help protect it from termites. You can do the same for patio furniture, decks and anything else that is made of wood.
- Put in a termite barrier, this along with regular maintenance and inspection will do wonders for keeping termites at bay. Contact an exterminator to help you with this.
- Keep decks and balconies separate from the house so termites have a harder time traveling and infesting your home. They are attached to your home but not necessarily part of the construction.
- Talk to a pest control company about the best way to keep your home termite free. If other homes in the area have had termites or you have an older home then you need an inspection right away. Termite damage can get costly pretty quickly, you want to get a jump on it right away.
Termites are more than just bugs on your property, they cause real and expensive damage to your property. If you even suspect that you have termites then you need to get someone in right away to inspect. Termites are perfectly capable of eating your house right out from underneath you and causing thousands of dollars in structural damage. Make a plan to keep them out.